Sunday, September 28, 2008

i am not a good decision maker

So what's next? I find that my life in general seems much more complete when I am halfway through a good book. It should seem easy to go onto my next choice because I love to read and I have so many books that I know are good on my list to read. Well, somehow I think it would be easier if I had no idea of what to read and someone just told me, read this (like Redeeming Love) and then I read it. I am a horrible decision maker. It's so bad that I semi-freeze up when someone makes me decide on what fast food restaurant to have lunch at or what movie to rent. So when it comes to commiting a couple weeks of my life to a book, well, you can imagine...So I have narrowed down my next choice from my monstrous list. Any votes? I've gotten some hints that I might like a little Amish reading by Beverly Lewis (I wonder why people think I would like these?!?!)...it looks like she has about a thousand books but this series looks familiar so I'm assuming it's the most popular one and they have them all available at the library...The Abram's Daughters series by Beverly Lewis
I love Jane Austen but haven't read any of these 3...Mansfield Park, Persuasion, & Emma. I hinted to Matt that I would really appreciate a "gift for no reason" of The Complete Works of Jane Austen because I don't feel like checking them all out at the library. I wonder if he'll take the hint because my birthday is still well over a month away and I think that's too long to wait when I've decided I really want it right now. Aside from being a poor decision maker I am very impatient.

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
I went to the library last week to get a book and was beyond annoyed that someone had managed to check out every Jane Austen and Edith Wharton book in the place so I was out of classic ideas and picked this one up because I've heard it's really really good but I'm in such a classic/typical me mood right now that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get psyched about reading this one even though I know eventually I'll read it and probably kick myself for not having read it earlier (that was one long run on sentence)....The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
So what shall it be?

6 comments:

Katie R. said...

I would go with the series to delay the next decision making process as long as possible!

travis said...

I'll add to your list of "must reads" because I can't in good conscience endorse any of the options you provided in this blog...

"Crazy Love" by Francis Chan

You MUST READ this short book - sometime.

Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

Oh, good list girl! That Beverly Lewis you listed is one I haven't read...BUT, I'm sure it is good. My fave of hers so far is the Heritage of Lancaster series... The Shunning, The Confession, The Reckoning. I also like The Redemption of Sarah Cain. (which is also a Lifetime for Women movie!!- the book is better though). Enjoy your book time! Either way...I think you've got a list long enough to eliminate much decision making for a bit :-)

kelly said...

Uhmm will you hate me if I add to the list?!

Something I want to read, but haven't yet is

"The Shack" by William P. Young

also I hear the Mark of the Lions series by Francine Rivers is good, as well as Karen Kingsbury books.

I know this is no help...I too have a problem with making decisions. It takes me 20 minutes to choose bread when mom and dad send me to the grocery store.
ohhh boy.

LOVE YOU!

Kris Hoskinson said...

i also am terrible with decisions. usually my worst is at restaurants. mark hates going out to eat with me because i can't decide. :) i feel your pain.
about the books, i own the beverly lewis series you mentioned. if you would like to borrow them, you are definitely welcome to- let me know. i have to be honest...i haven't read them yet. they are in my pile of "the books i own and have yet to read." oh so many books.....and decisions....:)

alyssa said...

sister, seriously....books again. you have got to be kidding me. i struggle through deciding whether or not i have to read, let alone, which book to read.

---i thought kellys comment about bread was really funny for some reason.

---kristen hammer owns the shack and im pretty sure jenny rogers does as well? and ive heard its really good, i kind of actually have it on my list of crap to read...that i'll never get to.


---did you notice that all these books have old fashioned type people on them....wowww. seriously;-)