Friday, September 26, 2008

redeeming love

I've been a little MIA from my blog recently as I've been using my free time to read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. Now when I first saw this book a few years ago it screemed cliche cheesy romance novel to me so I never gave it a chance. Then my mother-in-law told me a couple weeks ago that she had read it in one day, that Kelly was reading it, that Travis was reading it, that pretty much all of her friends were reading it. I'm thinking...okay, fine, I'll read it.
.
Redeeming Love is the retelling of the story of Hosea in the Bible where God tells Hosea, a righteous and godly man, to marry Gomer, a prostitute. This retelling takes place in 19th century gold mining California between a farmer, Michael Hosea, and Angel, an unwanted child sold into prostitution when she was only 8 years old.
.
While at times you can tell that Francine Rivers must have been a cheesy romance novelist before she became a Christian, this story is really beautiful and gave me such a real life picture of what God's love is like for us every day. Regardless of if we are a prostitute, a murderer or just a white liar, God's love is unrelentless and completely beautiful.
.
It doesn't hurt that this book takes place in the old times, which everyone obviously knows I'm obsessed with. But regardless, I definitely recommend this one. If anyone wants to read it, let me know and you can borrow my extra copy :)
.
God is Love.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this book! I read it 6-7 years ago and got hooked on a bunch of her other books too right after that. Redeeming love is my fave of hers though... I may need to check back in with that author and see if there's some recent stuff to catch up on! Thanks for reminding me of her :) By the way...have you read Beverly Lewis books, about Amish in Lancaster County? If not- Check it out!! You would like them... I could tell ya which ones to start with and which ones are too cheesy if haven't read them yet :)

travis said...

Can you believe I read this?? The things pastor's do for Sermon Prep!

(it was pretty good for a chick flick)

Kris Hoskinson said...

this is an AMAZING book. on my top five list. after i read it the first time, i actually read the book of hosea in the bible and it helped me to see that in a different light. good stuff. :)

Becky Bartlett said...

This is one of my favorites also!!! I loaned out my copy and don't know where it ended up. Glad you enjoyed it!! I recommend it a lot. What's next on your list??