Friday, September 5, 2008

Pan's Labyrinth: El Laberinto del fauno

As a follow up to yesterday's post about all the recent movies Matt & I have watched...we just watched this one last night. Pan's Labyrinth is a Spanish movie (written & directed by Guillermo del Toro) that won tons of Academy Awards in 2006 and for very good reason. I was very hesitant to watch it at first considering the entire movie is in Spanish with English subtitles but Matt kept pressing that alot of people had told him how good it was. As much of an artist as I claim to be and as artistic as a movie is praised to be, subtitles are always a turn off to me.

I'm so glad we watched it anyway. This movie is beautiful in pretty much every way that a movie can be beautiful. It's filmed beautifully, it's visually beautiful, the story line is interesting, the way the actors speak sounds like poetry, it's just a gorgeous movie. And 1 minute into it I no longer cared that it was subtitled. I actually think you could watch this movie without subtitles and just listen and watch and it would still be interesting.

Then this morning as I'm sitting at my computer working I decide that I want to listen to a podcast while I work and happen to stumble over to Travis' blog where he has some links to some blogs he reads and one of them in turn has a link to Mars Hill Church. They have hundreds of podcasts of their contemporary sermons on their website and I stumbled on to their "Cinemagogue" series talking about Christianity and modern movies and TV shows from The Office all the way to, ah ha, Pan's Labyrinth. What a coincidence.

So if you'll trust me, and get past the fact that it's subtitled, watch this movie. And then listen to the podcast that discusses meanings behind it as well as some Christian theology that is hinted throughout. Now that I am past the school stage of my life I always get excited to teach myself something new, to enrich what I know about this world, and to dig deeper into my relationship with God and today, podcasts will be my teacher.

No comments: