Thursday, September 4, 2008

family video is my friend.

I like to watch movies. Alot. And watching them for $.50 to $1 each I like even better. Here is where our beloved Family Video store comes in. We live just down the street from this little gem and over the summer they have started charging $1 for everything in the store, including new releases. And if you rent a new release on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, you get a movie from the middle for free. You can pretty much guarantee that Matt & I stop by everyday after work to try out something new. So we've seen alot of movies. Here are a few off the top of my head that I recommend.

First off, the tv series...

24 seasons 1-6
(started watching season 1 over Christmas and finished season 6 a couple weeks ago) The Office (seasons 1-4...we own 1 & 2 and are about to head out to buy 3 & 4...you really can't get much better than The Office, seriously, give it a chance)
LOST (They've promised 6 seasons so let's hope the next 2 seasons deliver us from the eternal agony of wondering what the heck is going on)
Arrested Development (Unfortunately Fox cancelled this show after only 3 seasons but if you give it a chance it's unlike any other show ever on tv)
Scrubs (so I think there are like 5,000 seasons of this show. We love em :) House M.D. (Season 4 just came out and we had it shipped right away to us from Amazon.com...we don't really watch TV on TV anymore, we just wait for them to come out on DVD, so much better that way :)
The Bank Job (we just watched this last night, it was pretty darn good, based on a true story within the British government in the 70s)
The Darjeeling Limited (Matt says he likes Life Aquatic better but I haven't seen that one yet so right now, I think this movie is pretty amazing. It is so well filmed and the soundtrack is so weird and I love it. )
What Happens In Vegas (Matt did NOT want to rent this movie. He ended up laughing through the whole thing. It's a good mix of chick flick and really funny...with Kutcher & a guy from the Daily Show)
Dan In Real Life (We love Steve Carell and this was just a good movie, so different from his usual stuff but really good)
Fool's Gold (I'll be honest, I just loved this movie because of the location and the "boating around the Caribbean hunting for treasure" idea...it's just fun)The Brothers Solomon (tiny picture but oh well, this movie is so funny especially the outtakes/deleted scenes :)
The Ex (Love Jason Bateman from Arrested Development & Zach Braff from Scrubs, really funny & random)
Knocked Up (Just funny, I swear I don't only like funny movies :)
Becoming Jane (I love the Amish and the 18th/19th century, what can I say :)
Michael Clayton
The Ultimate Gift (inspirational)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall (funny again)
The Other Boleyn Girl (I really liked the book and the movie wasn't as good as the book but if you haven't read it, I think the movie is good).

4 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

thanks for the recommendations. we never know what to get, so we'll have to call you next time we're stuck! we, of course, love the office... and have recently gotten hooked on house. If you're bored this weekend, there is a house marathon!! starting Saturday morning thru Sunday!! Luke has them all set to DVR. :)

Kris Hoskinson said...

oh thank you for the recommendations. this will be helpful on the next movie rental night!

sharon said...

Have you seen Breach? Great movie - true story - took place right here in VA!!!

travis said...

reason #43 I love you and Matt - your taste in television!