Saturday, September 13, 2008

our real wedding

So I've showed you all our beautiful wedding in Cancun, Mexico. Some of you may not know that this wasn't really our wedding. Because we wanted Travis (an American/Turkistan/Antarctic citizen) to marry us in Mexico and we didn't really want to go through the rigamarole of getting legally married in Mexico, we decided that we would just sign the papers for our legal marriage when we got back home. This is where little ridiculous lights go off in my husbands head and where my love for him outweighs my common sense. Hence, meet, our legal weddin'.
So we call up the court house and there is over a 2 month wait to go to the court house to sign the papers so we have to pay a judge to have a "private" ceremony. We decide to go to some random park suggested by her and as I discuss the details on the phone with her she starts asking things such as: "Do you want your dad to walk you down the "aisle", "Can I read this beautiful poem I have during the ceremony?" etc. etc. you get the idea, basically she was treating this as if we were really getting married. We had a little different vision in mind...
My sister & brothers' friends couldn't resist taking the opportunity to show up at a "wedding" wearing assorted paintball gear, hunting outfits, random work clothes from the garage, and in my sister's case, one boot, one barefoot. As hick as we could get.
I adorned my finest oversized Wal-Mart pharmacy tshirt and a lovely bouquet made by the above "guests"...A hunting decoy pheasant wrapped in weeds, duct tape, and ribbon.
The groom was lookin mighty fine in his huntin hat, cut off, and tooth pick.
The ceremony was very moving. Let's just say the vows & "lovely poem" involved Matt chugging a beer, a belch, me picking a wedgie, and Matt suggesting to the judge that we "hurry up & get to the I Do part."
We had to sign the license on the back of the Civic with those Tennessee plates.
We were so happy to finally be hitched.
One detail that can't be missed: the groom's foot attire.
Pics of guests at the reception in the parking lot.
So this is the real story of how we got married. I got my wedding and Matt got his!

4 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

Are you kidding me?!?!! This is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. :) Very, very funny. Did the judge think you were serious with all the get-up?

The Art Of Light Photography said...

when we got out of the car she gave us a "what?!?!?!?" look...we had to explain it a bit and i think she was pretty much like, "uh, ok, you're weird and i don't know who would ever want to do this but i'll just take my $150 bucks and be on my way thanks" :)

Ashley said...

When I first saw these pictures on facebook, I literally almost spit out the water I was drinking!! GOOOOD stuff!!!

Kris Hoskinson said...

okay so i am laughing so hard. you guys are hilarious. i love that you did this. what a great story to tell the kids some day!!! ha ha