Thursday, December 4, 2008

the matchless wonder of all that He is.

i just finished reading "i am not but i know I AM" by louie giglio, founder of Passion. this is my favorite passage:
.
And how would we know when we have slipped back into the story of us?
We know when we see these telling signs.
.
When I live like I'm privileged. I have lost the plot. In other words, when I start acting like I deserve a certain outcome or a higher standard of life, I have failed to strike the fatal blow to self and am living like I actually have rights in this world apart from God.
.
When I am demanding, I have lost the plot, insisting that God and others meet my needs on the timetable that I see fit.
.
When I crumble under the pressure, I have lost the plot, declaring that the outcome of life rests sqaurely on my shoulders, not His.
.
When I start protecting, I have lost the plot, marking turf as though it were actually mine and forgetting that everything I have comes from above.
.
When I crave the spotlight for myself, I have lost the plot, losing sight of the story line and the one true Star.
.
And every time I do it I waste one of life's fleeting chances to make my life truly count by amplifying Him.
.
When I fail to celebrate the successes of others who are living for His fame, I have lost the plot, thinking that possibly we are on different teams when we actually share supporting roles in the same story.
.
When I dwell on feelings of being unloved, unnoticed, or insignificant, I have lost the plot, abandoning the miracle of knowing God on a first-name basis.
.
All of these privileged, demanding, arrogant, frazzled, turf-protecting, glory-stealing, self-loathing moments are nothing more than a clarion call alerting us to the fact that it's time to die again, reminders that the life of smallness requires a vigilant watch and a constant willingness to strike the fatal blow in the heart of me.
.
But to die to self is to gain on an unfathomable scale-- a daily funeral that is nothing more than the doorway to a life filled with the matchless wonder of all that He is.

1 comment:

kelly said...

wow.
I love this. and that first/last quote.
such great stuff

btw-I got your christmas present and its really cool (imagine me saying that in a sing-song voice)