Sunday, December 7, 2008

a buggy?

I'm learning alot about Southern culture as I become immersed in living amongst all this Southern charm. Today in our church small group we were discussing how our leaders had gone to Wal-Mart with their youth group to buy some gifts for a family in need. They were talking about the experience of all the kids "running around to their section of the store, screaming when they found the things on their list, pushing each other around in the buggies, yada yada yada....."
.
I stop them mid story, laughing and completely confused, "WHAT is a buggy?" (I'm thinking...I don't think they have Amish modes of transportation in Wal-Mart, but hey this IS the south)
.
The rest of the small group looks at me as if they are thinking "duh, who doesn't know what a buggy is?"...So, after a bit of translation, I am told that a buggy is a shopping cart. And that, in fact, a buggy is what they call the contraption you put your items in when shopping in Tennessee.
.
Who would have known :)

2 comments:

Clare & Tim said...

In Boston, they are called Carriages. And the liquor store is the Packy, the water fountain is a bubbler, cash registers are called cash wraps, and they have no idea what suckers are.....

People need to learn english! ;)

Tracie said...

We, from Tennessee, welcome you!! My co-worker from Iowa and I discuss words and their pronunciation, ad nauseum. I, being the grammar junkie that God created, get a bit giddy over such things.