Monday, August 18, 2008

matthew 6:19-21

My favorite father-in-law, Jim, is a pretty loyal blog reader and upon reading about my desire to live with or atleast somewhat like the Amish, he emailed me this photo which is supposedly supposed to represent Matt & I if we were to follow my "dream". Now it's pretty obvious that I'm not a fashion diva but I'm not sure even my homeliness could pull off the bonnet and over-all dress look. Atleast we know Matt can pull off a killer "elder" beard...
I promise you I will never let him look like this again. In a moment of blind unconditional love I allowed my husband to look like an Amish man in need of his crazy pills and to the world, I apologize.
.
Regardless, I am completely intrigued by the Amish lifestyle (minus their elder beards). They put God above all else and treat everything they are given with the utmost respect as irreplacable gifts from God. Loving God, family, and living off the land is all that matters. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to plan my day around the sun rather than my calendar book, to harvest my own food instead of getting annoyed by someone on a Sunday drive on my way to the grocery store where I will, no doubt, complain about the price of wheat...what it would be like to not have to sit at a computer all day or consider how the war is going to affect the price of gas.
.
So maybe God did not have it in His plans for me to be Amish and that is okay (the Amish probably wouldn't be that fond of me considering I'm a photographer) Still, the principle stands, I believe God has called us to reject the ways of this world and to live for His kingdom instead.
.
One of the ways of this world that I know is within my control to reject is the way I treat and accumulate things. Everything from what is in my closet, what I feed my body, how I give of my resources, what I chose to do with my time, and what importance I place on all of these "things"...I can love Jesus in all these areas of my life.
.
In the meantime, who wants to go hang out in Amish country with me? I've heard you can go buy some of their food or something...where do I go? Matt's suggestion was reinacting the movie "For Richer or Poorer" with Tim Allen, somehow I don't think this will fly. I'd love to try though :)

4 comments:

Katie R. said...

I'll go!!!!! Kalona isn't that far away! Mmmmm any trip that involves food, is my kinda trip!

travis said...

bonnets for all the women of Relevant!!

Seriously - great thought about letting go of this world to embrace the next!

Unknown said...

hello! I'm so in!!! How funny that we both are drawn to this hidden community of people. One of my favorite devotion books is a book about simplicity with recipes included for each day by an Amish woman. Too wonderful. I too am intrigued by their way of life. A lot of it is the simplicity in their everyday....yet they work so hard to be "simple". Over by Fairbank/Auroa area there is a Amish community. I grew up going there with my family...I'd love to go back. It's been years. Let's make this happen... seriously, I want to go :) Great idea! Jess H

Becky Bartlett said...

Great post! I love the thoughts about simplicity. A good reminder for me also. We had some Amish work on a few houses around us and I found myself staring at them secretly thru my closed window shades. I like them too... but they looked hot in their overalls. I wanted to take them lemonade, but I didn't know if they drank it??