Sunday, November 16, 2008

"a big big house where we can play football"

Moving to a new community 11 hours away from what I have considered home my entire life can be a bit daunting. Now #1 on our list of to-do's is actually finding a church home where we can truly become a part of the community, meet new people in the area, strengthen our relationship with each other and nourish our personal relationship with Jesus. We want a place that is real. If anyone knows me they know I'm not really one for dressing up or being anything that I am not. And if anyone knows anything about the south they probably know that church and your Sunday best and traditional worship is a big part of the culture. And maybe some grits :)
.
So anyway, we decided to just start trying churches out and hoping to find the one where God wants us to be right now. Today we went to New Vision. Technically this is a Southern Baptist church which I find pretty funny (to think of myself attending a southern baptist church) However, it is nothing like what I would think of as a southern baptist church...it is very contemporary, and what a coincidence...they seem to have...a new vision. This church has 4 services with about 2500 people and is actually built right next to Stones River (the historic Civil War battle field). (This little tid bit of info is for my dad, the history channel buff, they had to get Congress approval to build the church so close to a Civil War battlefield and I'm sure he will want to check it out when the family comes down in a week or so :)
.
So we entered and started worshipping and immediately Matt tells me that he knows the guitarist and that he was actually really good friends with him during his freshman year of college. It was ironic that today was New Vision's 20th anniversary celebration so the whole service went over the history of the church and their vision for the future. It was actually the perfect way to come to church to truly learn about it and get a feel for what they are all about. Somehow I feel like God knew this all along. We plan on attending New Vision again next week and so far it looks like God has made this process pretty easy. About 3 minutes into the service my heart and my Lord simply said, "yes, this is where you are supposed to be right now."

1 comment:

alyssa said...

this isn't really relavant to this post.

johnathan has the country station playing on the radio in the basement and it made me think of you. you probably hate me for saying that, but as of right now (till next week) thats what i think of where you live.

you and me go fishin' in the dark....you get the picture;-)


anyways. im happy that you may have found a church that fits for you guys at this point in your lives. maybe matt wont make fun of their songs and ruin them for you like he did for me ;-)