Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Problem of Pain

I enjoy thinking on an everyday basis. Some days this enjoyment is fulfilled when I feel as though I pondered somewhat in depth how a girl like Samantha Brown ever got the job on Passport to Europe. Such an amazingly cool job for such a nails across a chalkboard bunny rabbit kind of woman. But some days, when I'm feeling less jealous of Samantha Brown and more insightful on the world I enjoy pushing my thought process beyond the dimensions of the Travel Channel and into the dimensions of philosophy, apologetics, and the joys of having to read the same page 4 times just to understand the first sentence. I'm not sure why anyone would actually consider this enjoyable but I'll simply chalk it up to some DNA from my father who adores the History Channel, American Idol, Classic Westerns, and the Bachelor. My nucleic acid is just a little twisted.

So, in an effort to feed my need for torturing my brain cells with a little deep thought time without Jack Handey, I'm diving into a book by C.S. Lewis: The Problem of Pain. I read Mere Christianity a few years ago and have been wanting to read more by Lewis ever since when my husband suggested that we tackle this little piece of work together. So far it's taken me about a week to get through the introduction and first chapter with lots of internal "wow's" in between. He really packs a punch when it comes to looking at our selfish view of God and how convenient we can make God for ourselves. How pain in the world does not negate a good God but in fact supports and glorifies Him. I even highlighted a bunch of stuff just in the first 10 pages.
So I decide tonight that I'm going to go back through what I've highlighted so far to reprocess the thoughts of what I've read. And, as usual, my little book just like my keys, my purse, and my life are nowhere to be found. I swear to God and everyone in my family that I put things in logical LOGICAL places. And somehow in the end I find them in really logical places.

The logic I'm refering to must be some subconcious motive in hiding things from possible burglars that might ransack all my possessions. I'm deducing (logically) that my 1 second thought process goes something like this: I'm holding something in my hand that I don't want to hold anymore. Let me put it in a logical place. One that right now makes perfect sense to me considering I am currently looking at a nook and cranny that will not cross my mind for another 48 hours. Good idea, I'll put it here.

Clearly my brain was so engrossed in the complexities of Mr. Lewis that I had no circuits left to keep track of him. So for now, until I find my little book, I'll leave you with a quote that I sadly had to look up on the internet.

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
-C.S. Lewis "The Problem of Pain"

Maybe my brain is telling me I just need to stick with the Travel Channel for tomorrow.

No comments: