Monday, July 7, 2008

Saying "See You Later"

My mom taught me when I was younger never to say "goodbye" when you really meant "see you later." Today was another one of those "see you later" days. Matt is off again to Nashville and I am still here. It really should be no suprise to me that we're doing this considering we had a long distance relationship from the time we were 16. Like I said earlier, I assumed marrying the guy would be the end of that whole scene. Obviously I was dillusioned considering this guy is a pilot. Duh? So we've been doing this back and forth thing and usually I can handle it. I can see an end in sight and I can say, "I've got a plane ticket for this day and that's not really that far away." But the last few months haven't been quite that way and we haven't been able to really say when the next time is that we'll see each other. We bought his plane ticket for last week just a few days in advance. Before that we hadn't seen each other in over a month. And now I sit here again, not really sure when I'll get to hug my husband next. And, meanwhile, Matt got the pleasure of trying to comfort me as I cried my eyes out the moment we took the airport exit. Doing this for 6 years hasn't made it any easier. Let's just say this is a trial of life, marriage, and faith that I did not expect to be quite so hard. The pain of missing my best friend spills over into all areas of my life and my mind starts to feed on any negative thoughts it can come up with. So I trying (and struggling and working) on using this time in my life to reflect on what is important to me in my life and how I can work on relying on God when I sometimes feel like there is not much hope at all. Reflecting on how blessed I am to have the love of such an amazing man and how I can thank God for these blessings even when it hurts and I feel like a 2 year old telling Him that life isn't fair.
My point. Don't wait to cherish the love you've been blessed with in life. Hug your husband, wife, mom, dad, sister, brother, daughter, son, best friend, or do something to show them your love. And while you're at it, try to remember how much more God loves you than you can even love all these people combined. And I'll do my best to keep reminding myself.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry you are having a bad day. :( I've done the long distance thing, so I can really relate to that feeling.Just remember that God never gives you more than He believes you can handle, and life will NOT be this way forever. ((hugs from North Dakota))

Ashley said...

PS--Remember that if you need someone to talk to, you'll always have a friend in me. You know where to find me.

Becky Bartlett said...

I'm sad that you're sad! Maybe you could start a new business... in-flight professional photographs, family portraits, etc- ready for you when you land! Then you could go with him on every flight! Thanks for the reminder to cherish our loved ones!!