Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Relevant Church

God answers my prayers when I don't even pray them.

I believe this whole-heartedly. When I was a senior in high school and deciding what I thought I wanted for my future I had a specific idea in mind of what I wanted for my life. I wanted to use my life to participate in God's kingdom in a very tangible way beyond just volunteering every once in a while. I wasn't exactly sure how I could or would do this and, as a result, debated between majoring in English, Psychology, & Graphic Design. I had good reasons for wanting to do all these things but in the end I felt most strongly that I could not ignore my passion for creating. I had a reckless abandon for art that I wasn't going to ignore and I was happy to be doing something that I felt predestined to do. But my desire at 18 to do something big with my life was quieted as I began college and got busy with a full time business that I was helping to build from the ground up. And then suddenly, 4 years later God not only reminded me of the desires of my heart that I had harbored the entire time but showed me His answer to my unspoken prayer and what I believe I had been truly preparing for. Relevant Church. Travis came into our lives a few years ago when he took a new position as youth pastor at Matt's home church in Northern Virginia. He and his family became very close to Matt's family and we ended up having he and his wife, Kathy, come down to Cancun to marry us. For that, and the time he spent beforehand guiding us through premarital counseling, he will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Fastforward to a few months ago when we get word that Travis is picking up his family and moving to wherever he feels God is calling him to start a completely out of this world truly relevant church. I'm not really sure how I even got involved but I believe, like alot of things in my life, God put it before me with a sort of "duh" smirk on his face..."Do I have to hold your hand as you take baby steps and give you water from a sippy cup?" I like to consider myself a pretty mature, responsible, independent woman. And here I am begging that someone might want to use my passions for something bigger. I want my life to have purpose and it looks like God has resorted to flashing neon signs in my face to show me the way. Whatever works.

Fastfastforward to now. Williamsburg, Virginia is the place and it's going to be amazing. And I get the amazing opportunity to help this place look as cool as it is. This is not going to be an ordinary church. And it's not even going to be an ordinary contemporary church. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for Relevant and for all of us who are a part of it. For now, Relevant church is pretty much my computer as I am a part of it from wherever I am at the moment, working to make it look relevant (and in the words of my husband "like a CD cover"...huh?) but regardless of if I am physically there, I can feel the imenseness of it and I can feel the gratitude and desperation that I feel. (I can feel my feelings, congratulations Kristyn!)

The point of all this. God knew my heart so much better than I knew my own. And day to day I have to live knowing that right this very moment He knows me better than I know myself. I really don't know it all. The abandon that is required of me to live my life not according to my own desires but according to the plans He has for me is difficult and lovely. Blood, bruises, and fresh air breathing.

No comments: