Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kristyn's Healthy Chicken Enchiladas

Always on the quest for new tasty and healthy recipes, I tried coming up with super healthy chicken enchiladas last night and they were definitely a hit! Matt & I were both pleasantly surprised by how good and "normal" they tasted. Some of the recipes I found online had up to 75 grams of fat per serving! These probably have about 4 grams of fat per serving and fill you up like crazy.

**2-3 chicken breasts (2 reg. size or 3 small)
**1/2 onion
**1 c. fat free cottage cheese (or you can do FF sour cream if you're scared of cottage cheese but I promise you won't even taste it so be brave and just try it! Adds better protein than sour cream.)
**2 c. fat free cheddar cheese (they have it at WalMart)
**package of whole wheat tortillas
**can of black beans
**can of rotel (mild, original or extra hot depending on your preference, I use original, spicy but not over the top)
**can of red enchilada sauce
**spices: parsley, oregano, salt & pepper, chili powder, red pepper, minced garlic

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cook chicken on the stove (I add some red pepper, salt & pepper & garlic while it's cooking)
3. In another pan, cut up the onion & saute (with PAM)
4. In a different pan, bring rotel & black beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer a few minutes
5. Shred the chicken into little pieces with 2 forks, then return to the pan and combine chicken, cottage cheese, 1 c. cheddar cheese, black bean/rotel mix (spoon out so you don't add the bean sauce), 1/2 can of enchilada sauce, sauteed onions and a pinch of each of the spices. Mix all together.
6. Roll mixture into tortillas and lay in 9x13 baking dish. (I was able to fit 6 1/2 enchiladas in this dish)
7. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese
8. Bake 20 minutes
YUM!

Kristyn Hogan is a wedding and lifestyle photographer based out of Murfreesboro, TN and Cedar Falls, IA serving the Nashville area including Murfreesboro, Franklin, Brentwood and Smyrna as well as Iowa and worldwide. www.kristynhogan.com

5 comments:

Mom said...

I love it when you post recipes-keep them coming!!!

Jenny

momma beckman said...

Looks so yummy. make this one when you come home please.

Becky Bartlett said...

yum!! These sound good... just printed off your recipe!! :)

Manfulls said...

yes I am going to be printing off your recipe as well...or how about you just come back home and make them for me;)?

Jeanie said...

I fixed the other 2 recipes you had on here, froze some of it, and must say I loved them both. Now I
will try this one. Only trouble, I have to hand write them as I tried to print one of the recipes and ended up with printing 15 pages. Duh! Grandma